Re: Any news about SmartWords

Paul Breeze:

>I've been offline for some time, so can anybody tell we if there is any new
>intelligence about SmartWords, over say the last six months?

Oh yes, it came out in January--

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:35:39 -0500
>Sender: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
>From: "Frank Kenneth B."
>To: "'xywrite@xxxxxxxx'"
>Subject: RE: R: xy windows [again]

 [snip snip]

>As to SmartWords, I am embarrassed that it has taken this long to get the
>material together for distribution, but unfortunately the people who are
>responsible for the installs and related materials have been preoccupied
>with some major revenue-producing deliverables. I am pressing to get this
>released, however, and in the meantime have also arranged with our vendor to
>offer a full set of new import-export filters as part of the package. Since
>the holidays are upon us, we will commit to making this beta version
>available in January.
>
>K.

--but strangely its release seems to have gone unnoticed.

The other day, I was in the word-processing software section of a local
store. There were a few dozen of this and that indigenous Japanese
package, a ton of Microsloth Office/Word, nothing from Lotus, a single,
dusty package of WordPerfect, two boxes of WordStar, and, amazingly, not a
single copy of XyWrite, Smart Words, or Nota Bene. Indeed most people I
meet think that "word processor" just a quaint old term for "Word" (cf
"violoncello", "taxicabriolet", "luncheon").

Wow, I wonder what those "major revenue-producing deliverables" could have
been. (*Titanic* videos? Furby dolls? Plutonium? Coke?)
Peter Evans