RE: Xy4 Setup

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:27:47 +0900 (JST)

> For example, the keyboard always seems a little delayed, compared to XY3.

Change the second element of VAriable KS

> For example, the cursor always jumps to the end of the line when moving
> character down, not just simply one character down.

Use func LD, not CD

> For example, it has a funny way to interpret my SPL files (in XY3, I correct
> typical typing mistakes like "SIe" to "Sie", leaving the correct "sie"
> untouched. XY4 changes *all* instances to "Sie", making it necessary for me
> to take those corrections out of the spl file).

Set VAriable ZC=1 (preserve case)

> Then there are those funny surprises -- like "save as" does not work from
> within a file -- I first have to save, then "import", and *then* it
> understands it is dealing with a XY4 file).

 >From "within" a file? What's an example of this? Are you talking about
running foreign files through a filter when they're already in a window?

> For example all my useful "=DR"commands in the keyboard file are useless now.

You had more than one? You're talking about margin and tab settings? DR
is obsolete -- and it never worked anyway, except with large monospaced
fonts. Xy4 uses OFfsets, not Left and Right Margins. If you really want
menus:
 For Tabs, you could use
nn=XHJMt,a,b,s,Q2
 For OFfsets
nn=XHJMm,a,r,g,i,n,s,I,A,Q2

> All of this little things, I guess, but it just feels like there is
> something between me and the text -- not like an extension of my fingers
> like XY3.

Xy4 is a different product. Why do you expect it to be Xy3? You weren't
born with Xy3 in your fingers; you learned it. There's virtually nothing
that Xy3 did that Xy4 can't do too. But Xy4 does so much more! Spend some time
poking around, especially in the manual. Learn it. There's some pretty amazing
stuff in there.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx