Re: Adobe File Utilities (nee Word for Word etc.)

The new Adobe File Utilities CD contains a not much changed Word for
Word for DOS, Windows3.1x, and Macintosh, plus versions for Windows95 and Unix. Some
cursory use gives me the impression that W4W still works about the same. The big addition
in file formats is the HTML capability, and probably more graphics formats.

Also, the CD-ROM disk includes
    Docucomp for Windows 3.1, Windows95, and Macintosh
        (no idea of its parentage)
    Viewer3.1 for Windows 3.1
        (appears to be identical to Outside/In)
    Viewer95 for Windows95
        (appears to be identical to Quickview Plus, OI's successor)
      [Viewer can quickly view all the formats, including HTML and
      graphics, that W4W handles, and probably more. I suppose
      the advantage is that it's probably less program to load
      than W4W if all you want to do is view.]
    Adobe Acrobat Reader 2.1
        (freely available from Adobe)
    Online documentation
        (the only printed material is an installation card)

This is the tree of the disk, except for the Mac directory, which I haven't viewed on a
CD/equipped Mac:

|PC----------|
|      |DOS---------|
|      |WIN31-------|
|      |      |ACROBAT-----|
|      |WIN95-------|
|             |ACROBAT-----|
|UNIX--------|
       |ACROBAT-----|
       |      |SGI_IRIX
       |      |SUN_HP
       |AIX
       |DG
       |HP9000
       |INTLSVR4
       |SCO
       |SGI
       |SOLARIS
       |SUNOS

(Although this tree reflects mainly the Acrobat subdirectories in each platform, the
install files for the other programs are indeed there in the DOS, WIN31, WIN95 and various
Unix directories, and presumably Mac directories also.)

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University day@xxxxxxxx