Re:

Thanks, Harry. I did try that, successfully, after a
fashion. The problem was that it was dreadfully slow. Do you know if one
can adjust the port parameters so that it's anywhere near as fast as a
parallel connection? (I didn't play more with this because it would be
awkward to give up my serial port for this.)

Alan