Re: USB Printing with DOS2USB

Harry Binswanger wrote:

The Persistent stuff is optional--I'd first just get the above working.
True, but recall that if you set persistent yes, you just have to run the command once; if you set it no, you need to run it each time you boot (you can, of course, include it in autoexec.nt in that case).
And you get the right string for yourcomputername by doing
NET[space]VIEW

To get the string for yourprintername, try
NET[space]USE
Or, go to Printers and Faxes, and select the appropriate printer, do Properties, and select the Sharing tab.

I suspect typing error.
All true, but I suspect the printer may not be shared. Or file and
printer sharing may not be enabled.
Note that one way of avoiding typing errors is to pipe the commands to
text files, then copy and paste the resulting information into a batch
file. Thus

net view>e:pcname.txt
That will save the results of net view to a file on drive e: named pcname.txt. The open that, copy the part that begins \\, and paste it into the batch file.
And compared to some of the cryptic point and click routines in W2K,
net use is not merely transparent but a lifesaver. W2K evidently
creates special Administrative shares, with its own assigned passwords
that I don't know and cannot change (even when I'm logged on with
administrator rights). But net use gets around them.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx