Elementary and embarassig question on installing u2 on xp

For the first time I'm making a serious effort to install Xy on my XP, and can't even get my old .kbd file loaded.

(I've tried installing u2 several times in the last 3 or 4 years but get hung up on one thing or
another, so have just stuck to my old xpl and kbd routines, etc.)

When I try to load my kbd file, which works fine in Windows 98, Xy gives me this error message:
"Bad: 2=nn,1"

Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I should get with the program and finally install U2. But I'm stymied at
the second task in the u2 installation instruction on the readme.1st file.

; For First-Time REGistry Installation Help, CAll REG-READ.ME←

I put my files from the zip file into c:\temp and cannot find the reg-read.me file.

Is there a simple solution to this?

btw, I thought I would try the zipxwt.zip file, that was mentioned on this site last week, and
generously sent to me, but when I try to open it I get a message that the file is corrupted.

Many thanks for any advice.

I was forced into gettting XP because I use the new Adobe Creaative Suite, which requires XP, so
I've stumbled along the last six months on my XP, using Word. I've got a deadline on a book coming
up in 3 weeks and am just about ready to kill myself if I have to muddle through on Word much
longer.

(I'd like to find the guy who created the "Ctrl-F" search function in Word, with its
ridiculous mandatory dialog boxes and just punch him in the nose. ... And while I'm ranting, is
there a non-Microsoft employee who actually knows how to create those oft-advertised macros in Word?
I haven't met one yet.)