Re: Linux

As the other Linux convert on this list (in a full-time sense, as far as
I know), I can second much of what Rafe says, but I don't use the Dash
as much as he does, I gather.

While Kari is right to suggest trying Ubuntu or another Linux distro in
a virtual machine, long-term I think that's a less desirable way to use
it. The fact is that a 32 bit Ubuntu installation is faster on the same
machine than a 64 bit Win 7, in my experience -- with 8 GB RAM and an i5
processor. It may be that installing Ubuntu or Linux Mint and running
some flavor of Windows in a VM is a better way to go. My Virtualbox
versions of Win2K and XP seem equally fast on my Ubuntu 12.04 setup (I
am running more up-to-date Linux kernels than come with 12.04; don't
know if that makes any difference).

For at least some of the Windows programs folks might want, Wine --
free, from the folks who produce Crossover -- has come quite a way, and
can run a number of things, but definitely not all. I seem to have MS
Office 2003 running well.

XyWrite runs fine on Dosemu (the Linux DOS emulator) with a couple
modifications to the setup. We've got a CLIP equivalent, which can
convert the character set as needed, and in general you can interact
with the OS without the limits of Dosbox -- printing is straightforward,
and I can print to a PDF file as well. You have some font options,
though not Tame level choices. I've managed to get some files to open in
XyWrite by choosing a script from a right-click menu -- more of a toy
than something I actually use (and the script and related files could
surely be better written, given my rudimentary skills).

If the Ubuntu interface is disorienting, try out Linux Mint with the
Cinnamon or Mate desktop. I think that the last would seem most familiar
if you are coming from Windows pre-Win 7.

Paul Lagasse