Re: XyWrite 4 and Win98 2nd Ed.

Soon after receiving the reply from Nick Clifford on using Xy4 with Win98
2nd edition, I discovered another solution. I discovered that I had a
"PIF" (program information file) for Xy4 that must have been created the
last time I did a complete install several years ago. It showed up as a
"shortcut" in my Xy4 directory. Actually I had two of them that were
identical, except that one was labelled Xy4 and the other was labelled
"editor". I now remember using one of them to access editor.exe in earlier
versions of windows. It controls things like memory allocation. So if you
can find one from an earlier Xy installation and copy it to your Xy
directory it can take care of your difficulties in running under Win98 2nd
edition. I believe the most important part of the file is the memory
allocation for expanded and XMS memory. Both of these are set to 1024. If
you don't find such a file, you can "explore" your start menu and find the
shortcut for MS-DOS. Copy that shortcut to your Xy4 directory, right click
on it. Go to properties, click on the program tab. Change "cmd line" to
editor.exe and working directory to your Xy directory. Then click on the
"memory" tab and change the XMS and EMS memory allocations to the values
above. Then use that file to start editor. That should make Xy work just
fine, but there are other properties that I haven't played with that may
make it work better.

Fritz Casey-Leininger