Re: XyWrite 4 and Win98 2nd Ed.

Fritz Casey-Leininger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list just having found out about it last night while
> surfing, so if this question has been answered, please just direct me to
> where the message is archived. I have just bought a Dell 400 mz celeron
> with Win98 2nd ed. running on it, but have not been able to get XyWrite IV
> to work on it, except when I restart the computer in DOS, and then the
> computer completely locks up when I close the editing session.

I had exactly the same problem, and with the help of George Buschmann at TTG,
figured it out. Therre are two ways of handling this:
  One (probably the less advisable) is to disable the McAfee anti-virus
program that came with your machine. You should then be able to start Xy4 from
Windows with no trouble.
  The other one is to start Xy4 from Windows, watch the screen go blank, and
wait approximately 45 sec. to a minute. XyWrite will then come up like a
dream. After that first load, you can quit XyWrite, and come back to it
without the wait; but you will have to wait every time you load XyWrite after
turning your machine on.

That, at least, has worked for me both on a Dell with a 400 Celeron, and a Dell
with a 450 pentium. Both came with the McAfee software.

Another hint (tho you didn't ask). Make sure that in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file a
line reading something like

SET PATH=C:\XY4;%PATH%;C:\PROGRA1\NETWOR1\MCAFEE1

is inserted at the end. If you loaded Xy4 from disks, no doubt this line
already appears. If you don't have this line, you will not be able to use the
XyWrite spelling dictionary unless you're in the XyWrite 4 directory.

Nick Clifford