Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

Peter Evans wrote:

> I get the strong impression that one can find a top (let alone other)
> honcho to spout just about anything one can think of (other perhaps than a
> CP/M revival). Aren't such prognoses a matter of "What do we want to get
> people excited about?" and "What competing enthusiasm do we want to
> dilute?"? Further:

 Since NEC is avidly marketing Pentiums, I hardly think the above
applies.

> My own impression, formed from a desultory reading of much material
> possibly influenced more by other honchos and less by knowledge or
> rationality, was that, whatever its other actual or possible benefits,
> Java-OS was a good way to s-l-o-w things down immensely.

  I seriously doubt you read that in regards to Java-OS. Could you tell
us where? Or was it perhaps instead in reference to Java applets, Java
Virtual Machine, and/or Javascript?? And even in that regard, have you
noticed any real sloth in Java applets running under Netscape? The next
release of Word Perfect will be pure, 100% Java, and, of course, we all
know that we'll never be able to say the same of XY -- but do you
suppose Corel chose that approach to slow down WP? And do you truly
think that a OS that runs quite well on machines with only 4megs of ROM
and 4 megs of RAM would be marketed by an ultra-tech company like SUN if
it were slow?
  Given the choice, you'd no doubt prefer your Pentium (of whatever
speed) to a Sun Sparcstation of like "speed", eh?

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.dibbs.net/~hseaver
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the