Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

James Eibisch wrote:

> > NEC just acquired Sega, and might be soon marketing a sweet little
> > NC machine in the $100-200 range, running Java-OS.
>
> Almost certainly, but they will have no presence on the OS/2 and
> XyWrite-running desktop (is that what we're talking about? I've lost

  I'm installing a Java-OS network, and you may rest assured that it
will be able to pull up XY (although I'll probably be the only one here
using that), as well as any windoz, loser95, or NotThere app. Warp apps
as well, I think, are possible, but I'm not sure we will pay for that,
since we don't own any at present, but do have one Warp Server, which
I'll use for the windoz and dos apps if I can. We don't own any loser95
apps either, and won't, if I can help it -- but might be forced to at
some point, if developers don't follow Corel's lead fast enough.

> the original post's thread slightly). The desktop market will finally
> open out a little, but there will be no new chip vendors represented
> there, only Intel/HP x86/Merced, Sun SPARC, IBM PowerPC and possibly
> DEC Alpha.

  Oh but there will -- the Java chip. And not just "possibly" DEC
Alpha, they're pretty popular already on the Linux front already.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.dibbs.net/~hseaver
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the