MsWord 2003 Endnotes as separate chapter

Since this is also a list of writers and editors, and since many of
us must submit our manuscripts in either a .doc or .rtf file, I have
an MSWord question I simply can't resolve. Publisher wants the whole
book in one MsWord file, a .doc. Making a very long story short
(conversion from XY went okay), you do this by creating section
breaks between your chapters. Book is heavily footnoted. Footnotes
were set as endnotes. Word dumped all the endnotes at the end of the
file. Problem: that makes the endnotes the last chapter in the book
instead of the penultimate chapter, which is what I want, and there
appears to be no way to move those notes. They're stuck there.
Publisher is well-known, part of a larger group, which has its own
tech support. I called them. They seemed flummoxed, said they'd work
on it. Work on it... I'd rather resolve this myself, if possible. Any
notions? Thank you.
Michael Norman