E-mail voodoo

It seems these days that more and more E-mail messages (including,
but certainly not limited to, messages from this list) are littered
with what appear to be hex codes preceded by an equal sign. "=20"
is perhaps the most common, but others also abound (cf. today's
postings re diacritical marks).

These codes are indecipherable (at least to me), and make the
messages that contain them hard to read. I assume that they the
product of mail servers' ingesting and regurgitating characters
outside the plaintext range (Ascii 32-128). If so, it would be a
courtesy to replace them with plaintext equivalents before hitting
the Send button. (For those who compose E-mail in Xy4 or XyWin,
there are XyWWWeb tools for ferreting out extended Ascii and 3-byte
chars, viz, L3 [in TRIO.ZIP] and FINDHILO.PM.)

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/