Why convert files from XyWrite?

   I must emerge from the shadows again to say a word on this thread about
converting XyWrite files to WordPro,
   Why?
   I still have on my C drive every word processing program I've ever used
extensively, and use them all from time to time. I have so much material
--- four books and innumerable articles, letters and files -- in WordPerfect
4.2 that I see no alternative to keeping it in service.
   Anyway, I like it better than most of the newer versions. The same
goes for WordPerfect 5.1. I also have XyWrite 4.0 for Windows and XyWrite
4.0 for DOS. I find I use the DOS version more.
   I also run the last DOS version of Ventura and two, no, three, graphics
programs. Since I don't run a lot of games, and don't like Windows 95 and
its memory-hogging applications, there's still plenty of room on my hard disk.
   The only problem that I've encountered is that WP4.2 doesn't have a
driver for a LaserJet IV, and of course support for the program has gone the
way of the buggy whip, and I have to keep an older printer handy just for
that application.
   So run WordPro, or even Word for Windows if you have adequate antivirus
protection, and keep exporting and importing documents to a minimum by
keeping the older programs too.
   And even though TTG has turned its back on XyWrite and has no interest
in supplying filters for the newest versions of the big-name word
processors, XyWrite is still the best program I've tried when it comes to
handling other word processing applications' output, or putting out its data
in a form they can use.

Lee Hickling