Re: Error and correction beeps

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> This gets weirder and weirder. I think we can scratch ATX and power
> management schemes. Or at least they are not solely responsible. It seems
> that MOST "modern" systems, including a few pretty ancient ones, CANNOT
> emit beeps from a DOS prompt (or, apparently, a DOS app running in such a
> box) within 32-bit Windows. To test, open a DOS prompt and type
> Echo ^G (producing the last by either holding down CTRL and typing G or
> holding down ALT and typing 7 on the number pad). Then hit Enter/Return.
> If you hear a beep, you are very fortunate.

Hi Patricia,

I've got some news for you, and it's either good or bad, depending on your
perspective. I just made a rare visit to W2K-land on my system, and I've got all
the beeps I could ever want (various suggested methods) in both the W2K DOSbox
and within Xy 4.018. This system has an ASUS P3B-F motherboard (flashed to Rev.
6 firmware, the final release) with Award Medallion 6.0 BIOS, and an Intel
P3-850.

As it happens -- and this would be a long story that cost me plenty along the
way, even more in aggravation than in $$ (Hint: it has to do with a custom
builder who disappeared for nearly two years, along with my money) -- I have
doubles of nearly all the required components to build a clone of this system:
everything but a duplicate power supply or case, which I don't have, or the hard
drives, which I'm not inclined to sell. This is at best a half-serious
proposition, but if you wanted to build another system, and this CPU was fast
enough for you, we could discuss it. It's not up to date with all the latest USB
2.0 and firewire jazz, but it's been quite fast enough for anything that *I* do.
And I'm told it's fast enough to run a VPC emulation layer with decent
performance. I think I can guarantee that it will BEEP to your heart's content.

Jordan