RE Error and Correction beeps

And yet more complications. I thought Emery might have hit the nail on
the head with mention of ISA cards, but of the non-beeping systems I
tested, two at least have ISA slots. Then, on my Duron box, I tried brute
force: went into Device Manager, PCI bus, IRQ steering, and told it to
get IRQs from the protected mode table only (that's the third option in
Windows default). Total lockup, had to hit Reset, but on reboot, the DOS
prompt "Echo ^G" generated a beep. But Xy's error beeps still didn't
work. What, oh what is Xy calling to generate error and correction beeps?
The standard AT/ISA procedure was for the timer (IRQ 0) to generate the
beep and the speaker to produce it. Sound cards do come into play in the
DOS ^G routine, since that routine only works on the K6-2, which has a
sound card, when the external speakers are connected, at which point the
beep sounds through them (like Emery's finding that the MS ding was being
used).
Patricia