Error and Correction Beeps

Aha! Jordan and Harry both get beeps all over the place, and both have
Award BIOSes. Now that's only three PCs (my K6-2 is also Award), but NONE
of the nonbeeping PCs I've tested has an Award BIOS, so it begins to look
significant. Jordan, does that PC have an ISA slot? Populated or
unpopulated? And thanks for the offer, but I make it a matter of
principle to use AMD CPUs in my main machines. Partly because they've
stuck to parity/ECC RAM, which Intel has mostly abandoned except for
servers, and partly on general principles: resist monopolies. If worse
comes to worse and I have to run a two-PC system, I'll probably swap the
K6/2 for the beeping Compaq at the office. It's adequate for Xy, and we
need a more-RAM equipped machine over there.
Patricia