Re: Conversion problems re: TEXTOUT.FLT

Date sent:   	Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:45:52 -0400
Send reply to: 	xywrite@xxxxxxxx
From:      	"Michael P. Kube-McDowell"
To:       	xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject:    	Re: Conversion problems re: TEXTOUT.FLT

> Okay, I solved that one myself--it was a pathing problem within
> XyWrite. Now can someone tell me which of the _four_ RTF
> options offered I should use?
>
> There's:
>   IBM RTC:DCA

That's IBM RFT:DCA. Never mind.

>   Microsoft Rich Text ANSI
>   Microsoft Rich Text PC
>   Microsoft Rich Text 850
>
> I'm guessing PC, but why so many flavors for something that's
> supposed to be "universal" format?

I've been playing with exports from XyWrite for the last hour with
increasing frustration. All three of the RTF filters are producing files
that neither Word 97 nor WordPerfect for Windows 6 nor WordPro
96 can handle. The RTF files themselves seem to be mutated--
when I look at them at the ASCII or binary level (using the Magellan
viewers), they are full of extra spaces (ASCII 20)--every 11 or 12 or
13th character is an extraneous space.

Moreover, when importing to Word (the expected ultimate
destination), I experience the same thing Peter Evans reported
recently:

"When *I* open a Xy/Word-for-Word-produced .RTF file with
(Japanese) Word 97, Word spends a long time managing even to
display it on screen. A very long time. A very, very, very long
time. How so? Well, Word thinks that the pages are
infinitesimally small (or perhaps that the margins are immensely
big, I forget), and thus there's a page break after each character."

This is a problem which threatens to become a professional crisis--
I have to get this manuscript out of XyWrite and into either a non-
malignant RTF or Word/WordPerfect ASAP.

If anyone out there routinely exports from XyWin (XY4 format) to
RTF _successfully_, please tell me the file size and date of your
W4W19T.* file. If it's different from mine, I'm going to ask for a copy-
-

Best,

  K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac/default.htm
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET