Re: Startup in NB70.b

At 2/21/2004 04:56 PM -0600, Robert H. Kubie wrote:
The word is not "jerry rig." It is "jury rig." I don't know why; I don't have any explanation for either term. But I have been familiar with nautical slang for at least seven decades. When you break your mast, cut away the broken part, lash the boom vertically to the stump of the mast and stay it , hoist a storm tri-sail on it and limp home; you have jury-rigged a mast and a sail.

Anchors aweigh, everyone.
As Carl points out, this is one argument the OED doesn't settle, but I'd
ask, simply, why not both? Jury-rig -- a cobbling together of pieces or
parts otherwise intended for other things -- certainly applies to what
we've been talking about, but then jerry-rigged (made of materials not
intended to last) can apply as well, though, I admit, it carries a judgment
the former does not. But, taking it back to sea, as it were -- when you
jury-rig, Robert, isn't that considered both a temporary and inferior fix
our solution?
Michael Norman