[Date Prev][Date Next][Subject Prev][Subject Next][
- Subject: CPM>DOS? (Wordstar>XYWrite?)
- From: "R. E. Stannard Jr." restannardjr@xxxxxxxx
- Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:23:23 -0800 (PST)
Need some advice aimed at the semicyberliterate:
My late father left his memoirs on 5.5-inch floppies written in wordstar
on KYPRO II in the days of CPM.
I work in XYWin on a Win98 desktop or on a Win95 Canon Notejet
Having those old disks converted is likly costly at best.
I have a chance to buy for next to nothing an old Kaypro II and a
companion Kaypro 10 and gobs of software and manuals. Both machines boot,
the seller tells me. I would be buying ONLY for this purpose. And a minor
fringe benefit of being able to read some of my own leftover disks done on
a Kaypro II back in the mid-80s.
1. Can an old Kaypro drive a modem, and what would be my cheapest route to
getting an appropriate one. Speed isn't necessary.
2. Would sending by modem from a Kaypro (CPM) system to my desktop or
laptop accomplish the conversion?
3. Would an early version of Laplink which I still have somewhere do the
same thing, or does that have to be between matched operating systems?
4. Or is there some other route that would be simpler and/or cheaper.
Any help welcome. Assume you are addressing someone that needs step by
step guidance. If I'm going to go this route, I'll probably have to act in
the next couple of days.
Tnx. Ted Stannard
R.E.Stannard Jr. em: stannard@xxxxxxxx or restannardjr@xxxxxxxx
Femmy T. Stannard em: femmystannard@xxxxxxxx
r: 712 Highland Dr, Bellingham, WA98225-6412, USA. ph:(360)392-0712
[prof. emeritus WESTERN WASHINGTON U, AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO]
Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!