Re: XyWrite

Here are the messages surrounding the one I posted. As both a staunch OS/2
user, as well as a committed XyWrite user (both as a Word Processor and as a
Text Editor), the idea of a native OS/2 version of XyWrite is very appealing to
me, personally.

It sounds to me like this was a "custom" application developed for one of your
particular customers and not designed for general release (apparently, even
Microsoft has been forced to do this once or twice). Considering that the
WP/DTP market is still fairly open on the OS/2 platform, and that speed is
important to both OS/2 and XyWrite users (something none of the current WP apps
are good at, although I've heard good things about Clearlook), there may be a
fair amount of synergy here and perhaps a good, and growing niche for TTG.

 #: 206763 S2/Word Processing [A]
   25-Dec-94 09:56:52
 Sb: #206747-#XyWrite
 Fm: Raphael Tennenbaum 70661,1232
 To: Chet Ensign 75674,3610 (X)

 > I think that trying to turn XyWrite into another GUI w.p. was not
 > the right path to go on, although it must have looked like the
 > only one available.

PMJI and you will likely think this is completely irrelevant, but every day I
think of another way that a Xywrite platform for OS/2 could turn into the
proverbial greatest thing. The essential thing for me would be to forswear the
GUI path, concentrating on speed and utility; particularly since AMI/OS2 and
esp the Describe GUI product have a firm grip on this small but growing market.

Rafe

There is 1 Reply.

 #: 206765 S2/Word Processing [A]
   25-Dec-94 13:51:08
 Sb: #206763-#XyWrite
 Fm: Andy Glass 70105,440
 To: Raphael Tennenbaum 70661,1232 (X)

 > every day I think of another way that a Xywrite platform for OS/2
 > could turn into the proverbial greatest thing.

Raphael:

Such a product already exists; having worked with it, I have urged the current
proprietor of TTG to issue beyond its limited OEM circulation in a few
newsrooms, including the Chicago Tribune.

- Andy
 25-Dec-94 16:43 ET

 #: 206769 S2/Word Processing [A]
   25-Dec-94 19:48:13
 Sb: #206765-XyWrite
 Fm: Raphael Tennenbaum 70661,1232
 To: Andy Glass 70105,440

I remember your mentioning this before, Andy, and I'm still hungry to hear more
about it. Is it stable? Are you under an NDA, or can you discuss parts of it?

Here's a couple of things I'd like to see: Ability to use REXX scripts; some
integration into the WPS (for instance, I'd like to be able to drag a program
object onto my Xywrite object so that my Xwrite session opens and runs the
indicated program, calling up specified files, etc); not to mention the obvious
things like multithreaded dealies to speed things up. Would like to hear more
if you're allowed.

Rafe

 --Sam. [using GCP v2.11, 04-Jan-95: 22:16]