Re: XY, Vista, choices

Si Wright wrote:
More reasons to cling to XP over Vista in this NYT story about people having "upgrade" trouble. Interesting focus group: Microsoft execs. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09digi.html
Will look at it at the office if I remember. But of course, upgrading opsys on an existing machine is almost always folly. But if it comes installed on a new system, it may be worth your time and money (as I said, XP costs more than some versions of Vista) to try and live with it. Heretofore, my "best practice"--both for my own systems and for the office where I am, de facto and for lack of anyone more qualified, sysadmin and tech gal--has been to buy bare iron and install everything from scratch, after having first partitioned the drive. Three considerations are making me seriously consider departing from that for our next purchase (replacing the bookkeeper's PC, which _died_): 1) the dropping price of hard drives, which means getting a second hard drive and dedicating it to data is so cheap that it's not worth the time it takes me to partition and install; 2) Vista's ability to nondestructively partition _after_ Windows is installed; 3) a tight time frame for setting up a new system and then doing a musical chairs rotation of the new and existing systems, so that the oldest XP box becomes to bookkeeper's "new" one. Of course, you have to buy a laptop all set up. There's no such thing as a bare iron laptop (alas). -- Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx