Re: Wildcard error message

Carl wrote:
With a little more effort, I *was* able to get the CI command to
trigger Error 567 ("Wildcards must be in the same order on both
sides of a change"). It required a very heavily formatted file with
many, many  statements.

How odd that file size (or the number of page elements, or whatever)
should trigger a command syntax error.
I get that error all the time. I thought it was due to my using too many
wildcards in the search. I seem to recall that if you use like 3 on each
side, it can't track them. Another hypothesis I had was that using the
wildcard for carriage return along with other wildcards stressed the system.

Aha. Just tested this on a very short file (400 bytes) and got the error:

ci /W,/W;/

but both the following worked:

ci / W,/ W;/  ---> space added before the wildstring

ci /X,/X;/
Perhaps it's the wildstring character, since it involves a variable variable (any string of any length below 80).
It's not an academic discussion. It would simplify my programming if I
could get this solved.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx