RE: xy windows [again]

Annie:

Thanks for explaining some of your keyboard choices.

Just a side note, I use straight DOS XyWrite 4.017E. Never could get into
the Windows version (mainly, if I recall because of clipboard problems and
other factors associated with a non-directly compatible Windows program.) I
prefer the uncluttered screen and better speed in XyDOS.

I do much the same as your program for going to a specific window, (I think)
with the following:

In the
	TABLE=
section of my *.KBD file I have
	87=SW

Thus, when I hit F11 (key 87 in the TABLE= table) I get the XyWrite windows
management screen and I am able to hit a number and go to any window. At the
same time, I can also see the path and file associated with each open window
as well as work in the "Options for current window" and "Adjust window size"
boxes.

This is very useful, but I classify it as a two key stroke function, while
the Shift-(Number on Key Pad) gambit is what I call a one+ function, where
it is almost but not quite a single keystroke.

I have done considerable work on the elements of keyboard efficiency. My
main conclusion is that this is where major improvements in the
human/computer interface can still be made. For instance, the Dvorak
keyboard is certainly superior to the QWERTY, but because virtually no one
uses it, learning to use it is counterintuitive for most who find themselves
using other computers. The real advances would come from doing a real study
of all the factors involved in keyboard writing, which I see no evidence of
anyone doing in any detail.

For example, when IBM Signature was in its early stages, I tried to find out
who was in charge of keyboard efficiency at IBM. Not only did I never find
anyone charged with looking at this issue, (which could have been a major
marketing advantage in its own right if understood and promoted,) but for
the most part, I never found anyone who even understood the question.

(This also opens up another issue altogether. It is, that with the advanced
facilities for efficiency that comes from writing with computers, the work
of actually making these machines more efficient is never done ***if it
means tinkering with that which is already a "standard."***)

Program munchkins see no reward in dealing with the marketing folks who see
"standards" as inviolate, regardless of whether they work or not.

It is my observation that heavy windows users, unless they lost a file in
some window, virtually never use the two keystroke (F11 + n.) With some
intentional organization and taking advantage of the visual clues from the
numeric keypad, they are able to know what is where so Shift-X works for
them.

For any who care, my windows keys are as follows:

Under

TABLE=SHIFT

the following keys are set up as so:

;;7 Windows
71=#7
;; 8
72=#8
;; 9
73=#9
;; 4
75=#4
;; 5
76=#5
;; 6
77=#6
;; 1
79=#1
;; 2
80=#2
;; 3
81=#3

Actually key # 73 in this table has the following string, which calls up my
Personal SPL file in window #9 and sets me up to search it for checking on
an existing spell or shorthand word, or adding new ones:

73=#9,BC,C,A,
,C,:,\,Z,W,C,\,X,Y,4,\,T,R,-,P,E,R,S,.,S,P,L,XC,BC,S,E,A,R,C,H, ,/,/,CL

Re your: <...but it's not clear to me why you've put some functions on Fkeys
and not in supershift positions on mnemonic alphanumeric keys--especially
save as F8, not the ubiquitous, easily-keyed Ctrl S.>

I have the save function on the Ctrl-S key as well. However, when people
were new to computing, as most were when I first started teaching people to
use XyWrite, there was a pervasive and often justified fear (which mainly
came from using other programs) of losing their work. Thus, in addition to
having AutoSave turned on and saving at five minute intervals, I made a big
deal of very simply and frequently (like invisible punctuation) pounding on
the F8 key (or "Hit the right corner of the second block of Function keys.")
to save. MS Windows and Word folks, most often use the mouse to save, even
though Ctrl-S is much faster and convenient.

Again, thanks for the clarification.

Ain't all this fun!

TR...