Turning off read-only in XP

I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in XySearch.
To use XyWin, I have to turn off the Read-Only attribute for the XyWin directory (and maybe its subdirectories). But doing it in Explorer, from the Properties menu of the folders, doesn't "take." And doing it at the pseudo-DOS C: prompt doesn't work either.
When I say "doesn't work" I mean, specifically, unchecking the check-box
for "Read Only" on the Properties of the XyWin folder and checking "Ok"
(with or without the option to apply to subfolders) still results in
Properties, when re-opened, having "Read Only" checked.

And executing, at the C:\ prompt,
 attrib -r \xywin
changes the subsequent ATTRIB display, but changes nothing re Explorer.

I assume that this R/O problem is why I can't launch XyWin on my XP system.
I recall Robert having once posted a standalone attribute-setting program that forced the required change. Does anyone know more about that, or this problem?

TIA,
Harry

I recall Robert had posted a little program that did the trick.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx