Re: Turning off read-only in XP

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> To use XyWin, I have to turn off the Read-Only
> attribute for the XyWin
> directory (and maybe its subdirectories). But doing
> it in Explorer, from
> the Properties menu of the folders, doesn't "take."
> And doing it at the
> pseudo-DOS C: prompt doesn't work either.

> When I say "doesn't work" I mean, specifically,
> unchecking the check-box
> for "Read Only" on the Properties of the XyWin
> folder and checking "Ok"
> (with or without the option to apply to subfolders)
> still results in
> Properties, when re-opened, having "Read Only"
> checked.

I don't use XyWin, and only use XP occasionally on
someone else's machine, but there may be some kinda
auto-reset thing going on here that keeps thwarting
your changes. I despise Explorer. A *real* file
manager program that lets you do whatever you wish to
& with any files | directories (like ZTreeWin) would
almost certainly get you past this MickeySoft B.S.
(For example, if you really want to delete something,
you can set a default such that you don't get a "just
kidding" deletion, with the item being transferred to
the Trash Can; it will truly be gone.) The _only_
advantage I can see for Explorer is that it installs
Win programs.

> I recall Robert having once posted a standalone
> attribute-setting program
> that forced the required change.

If you come across this again, it might be a good idea
to repost it. And have Brian add it to the XyWin
section, if there is one at his site.

Jordan