Re: xyW & email

≪ I have my own, rather weird, method for converting Xy
files to email form: I have a pgm that uses the output of
TYS (typescreen) as a base, then cleans it up. Allows me to
convert  and other forms of emphasis to asterisks
*thus*. And doesn't require unloading and reloading a .prn
file. ≫ --Harry Binswanger

Hi, Harry. If you use xpl anyway for the task, I don't see
the advantage of TYS over TYF. A line to load mail.prn and
another to reload your normal.prn are no big deal, and you
can make your AT:ITAL convert IT< and IT> to * (or however
that goes in xyDos 4). The xpl has to do some fancy file
deleting, but is worth writing--*I* think. My mailer
editor has no way to set line lengths, and I especially
like that when my xpl macro converts this msg to email
form it will make the short lines I prefer. ...

And while I'm here, let me say that while I don't think it's
worth rising up in arms over, the Salon piece struck me the
same as it did you. Without even meaning to, it made xyW
users look like fools. Virshup's Salon colleague Jon Carroll
wrote a very funny column a few years ago about the horror,
oh the indignity, of being forced to use xyW in his
newsroom. Hers didn't come close. Just good practice for a
CyberTimes gig. Such I'm-just-a-computer-illiterate-like-
you-dear-reader-but-I-do-know-how-to-get-an-assignment-from-
a-similarly-computer-illiterate-editor pieces are why I
avoid CyberTimes. But you don't need to know anything
about computers to know what a cargo cult is, and she and
her editor don't seem to know even *that*. Today the print
Times defined the Purple Heart as a medal awarded for
bravery. Where *have* all the editors gone? ... Ciao. 		--a

	... yesss ... finally, a new address ...