Re: U2 glitches

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:00:36 -0400 (EDT)

>> lemme know what you're doing with expanded memory.

> Not using it. And Win98 properties has all memory set to "Auto."

I'm confused. "All memory" are set to "Auto" but you're also "not
using"
EMS? Which is it? How can it be both?

> I don't think you need to buy anything, or use expanded memory.

According to the book, you only need expanded mem for the dictionary and
spelling routines. So it _is_ a head-scratcher to understand why that has
any bearing here.

> I've
> *never* gotten an out of memory error with Xy under either W95 or W98 in
> 5 years, and I don't do anything special (I don't use /e4000 and my
> Properties settings are on "auto"). There's something going on in the U2
> file.

Now I'm confused again. I thought we were talking exclusively about the
file named XYWWWEB.INF? That has nothing to do with U2. That is just a
plain text file, like a letter to your mother. There's nothing "going on"
in it, apart from standard embedded formats.

>> Other: some formatting command - maybe in a search string - or 3-byte
>> character may be just at the juncture where XyW pages out to its
>> overflow file.

> Don't think so, because adding 6 or 7 spaces to the beginning of the
> file didn't stop it from crashing at same point in file.

Add more -- add a couple thousand bytes at some innocuous place _above_
the crash point. Plug in a paragraph from a letter. Tim's absolutely
right: this does happen. I'm dubious in the present case, simply because
it usually happens to everyone in the same place -- but it isn't happening
to everyone.

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx