Re: file size limitations/out of memory error msg

Reply to note from sacksa@xxxxxxxx Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:00:51 -0500

> Xy Write [III+] will not display a directory listing of any
> directory or subdirectory that has within it a document list
> that exceeds (by number of documents) the limits allowed by
> XyWrite.
>
> What is that limit?
>
> Why is there that limit?

Your subject line answers the question. I don't know what the limit
is, but I've bumped into it trying to display large directories in
Xy3. Xy4 has no trouble with them.

On its face, it's strange that a lengthy dir listing would be a
problem. A directory of 900 files, for example, only consumes about
46,000 bytes. If that were a file, there would be no problem. But
with a directory, Xy3 chokes.

As for workarounds, instead of issuing a straight DIR command, you
could issue:

DOS /C DIR > DIR.TMP

and then CAll DIR.TMP. That works. You lose the point-and-shoot
capabilities of a XyWrite directory listing, but it's better than
nothing.

To take it one step further, you could MErge DIR.TMP into an *empty*
directory window. Then, with one alteration, you can have point-
and-shoot as well. To get an empty DIR window, issue a DIR command
on a file you know exists, e.g., DIR D:\XY\EDITOR.EXE (edit the path
to EDITOR.EXE as necessary). Then DeFine everything in the window
and delete it. Now MErge DIR.TMP into that directory window. Issue
a CI command to put two spaces between 8-character filenames and
their extensions (the DOS listing only has one space if the filename
has 8 chars). Bingo, it's a real, point-and-shoot XyWrite
directory. And it lists all of the files.

Obviously, this could be automated with XPL.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx