Footnote Spacing

I'm having a problem I don't recall seeing addressed on this list. I am
using XyWin 4.13 on a Toshiba Satellite 2595 CDS running Windows 98
(although I have had the same problem with other equipment running under
Windows 95 and 3.x).

When I am preparing lengthy documents with same page footnotes
(required), the main text often breaks a line or two later than it
should, moving the last line or two of the footnote onto the next page
(or sometimes even to the second page following). The footnote should
only be split up if it occurs on the last line of the main text.
However, this can and does happen even when a single footnote is near
the top of the page and includes only a couple of lines of text.

My footnote formatting commands include a standard separator as well as
a separator for when the text must carry over to the next page. I use
different bottom page margin limits depending on the type of the
document, but this doesn't appear to affect this problem.

The only way I have been able to correct the problem is to go in and
insert page breaks throughout the document so that the entire text of
the footnote will appear on the same page as the main text to which it
is referenced (unless of course, the footnote is to the last line of
main text and must be continued to the next page).

Is there a cure for this problem other than my manual corrections?