Re: Win-style undo? and windows keyboard

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

> 	How can we do the same changes to the Windows default
> 	keyboard for all other Windows applications, that we
> 	can to Xy4-DOS, so that the same keys of Xy4-DOS work
> 	in in Windows?
> 					Daniel Say
> 					say@xxxxxxxx

Beats me. Why not do a DejaNews search for "remap AND keys AND windows"?
With all the people using Windows, there's got to be someone out there who's
tackled this issue...

XyWrite-DOS specifically seizes the keyboard and interprets keystrokes directly,
except for a few high-level strokes like Ctrl-Esc, where the OS intervenes and
interprets your input. This has always been the problem with Windows keyboard
handlers: that applications surrender a great deal of control to the
OS. It's my understanding that apps _could_, if they chose, block this
behavior for most keystrokes and interpret them differently; they could even
allow users to define the behavior of keys as they please, a la Xy4-DOS. But they
don't choose. Sheep! It's the single overriding reason why I can't abide
XyWin: al the flexibility of the KBD file is compromised by these zillions of
dedicated Windows keystrokes. Especially the Alt key. NotaBene for Windows seems
to have acquiesced to it too, which is a bloody shame. I keep asking them how to
override their hard-coded dedication of F4 to Orbis, F7 to Ibidem, Ctrl-O to open a
file (or whatever it is, I forget) -- and they don't reply. They're almost as bad
as TTG, with the important difference that they're actually interested in acquiring
customers, and in developing the word processor.

If you learn anything, let us know.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx