Backup to network

Is this possible -- I'm asking for OS/2, but perhaps it applies
elsewhere:

As I work on something in Xywrite on my desktop, I wish to backup to
disk space on my dialup Internet server, for whatever reason. Is
there any workaround which would allow me to use the DOS subst
command or something like it to designate my directory on the server,
then use Xywrite's x:,y: command to use it as the backup drive?

Seems doubtful, I'd think, if only because I don't know of any file
commands that are translatable across Warp tcip/ip connections; that
is, a command-line instruction like COPY -- I guess if I invoke
command-line FTP, I can use PUT with the proper parameters (don't
know them, since I use gui ftp usually). Which I suppose means that
I'd first save the file, and then use the DiStefano-Holmgren Xy-os/2
shell to launch an OS/2 batch file which would take the name of the
file just saved and use it for the file transfer.

Which is kind of beyond my ken, mostly because I wouldn't know how to
get "Xy-OS/2" to read the filename and insert it via % parameters
into the OS/2 batch file...

Carl, Robert? Any ideas?

Rafe T.
http://www.quicklink.com/~rtenn