Re: Printing XyWrite

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
This problem has been solved. It was most recently addressed, on and
off-list, by Patricia Godfrey.
Who was merely recycling--and in part
erroneously--material that had been given several times
before by Robert Holmgren.
    >>Now create a batch file, which you should run before
you run Xy (or include this line in any batch file by
which you launch Xy), consisting of this one command:
NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES
substituting the name of your PC (revealed by net view)
for "computername" and the name you assigned when you
declared the printer shared for "sharename".
Harry is perfectly right that this doesn't need to be
done every time you run Xy. But I didn't realize that,
if Harry is right, that simple command must get
inscribed somewhere in the depths of the system
(Windows registry, maybe?), so that you don't have to
run it each time you boot?
Anyway, yes, TYP and PostGhst will work with anything:
USB on Win 98 (where you cannot use the NET USE unless
the printer is a network printer connected to another
PC), even a Winprinter. But I rather doubt your
LaserJet is that; the fad for them seems--thank
heavens--to have died out. Depending on how much the LJ
emulates the older LJs, you may get a fair number of
the fonts in the LJ 4 drivers; then if you want the
PostGhost fonts (which I understand are much better; my
eyes aren't good enough to spot these fine points of
typography), you can have them too, using TYP.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx