Re: help needed

Tom,

You make reference to a macro program. Have you tried disabling it?  (The fact that everything is okay outside of XyWrite does not mean that the macro program isn't the problem.)

BTW, I use Autohotkey, which is incomparably better than any of the half dozen or so others that I've tried. It has a full programming language (based on AutoIt), and I have over 1,000 lines of code for it.

--Harry

thanks much for the suggestions and for sending a new copy of xywrite, which I installed successfully.

my system works better now, not crashing and freezing, but the keyboard remains squirrelly.

1. left control key remains functioning like caps lock; right control key nada’for example, when I hit control q, to which I’ve assigned a simple macro, it says ’no macro assigned’

2. however when I hit the alt keys, the macro executes, even though it’s not assigned in the alt keyboard table

3. I’ve tried loading several versions of the keyboard files; also plugging in four different keyboards, all avant stellars or omnikeys, and same situation.
 when I ran startup.int with no ldkbd command at all, same thing and the computer froze up after I hit my left ctrl (caps lock) key.

4. AND, my row of sf keys, all with macros in the shift table, won’t work unless I physically hit the shift key’otherwise they just act like the f keys’

I do have some avant software that lets you reprogram avant stellar keyboards, but the keyboards I have, from bob tibbets, a refurbisher, all have their chip removed’tibbets doesn’t like those chips. so I don’t think that’s an option even if I could figure it out.

and for a long time, years, these keyboards have worked in shifted (sf keys) form, i.e. just hit the sf key to do the assigned macros, no need to use the shift key.

so I don’t think it’s xywrite now; don’t think it’s the keyboard (s); don’t think it’s the keyboard files.  is it vista, through which I boot up xywrite?  it seems a little odd, saying it’s an illegitimate copy even though it wasn’t; but it ultimately lets me boot up xywrite.

I did plug in one old keyboard that doesn’t even have sf keys, and it still exhibited the screwy caps/ctrl/alt key problem.

I do see, when xy is loading, something that says ’keyboard can’t accept new repeat rate’ or something like that.  I’ve tried loading without settings.dfl file in startup.int, and that stops that message, but doesn’t resolve the other problems. repeat rate in settings.dfl is on a very standard setting.

good news, thanks guys, is I can manage the way it is now; bad news is longterm when you write for a living, even a 90 something per cent functional setup gets pretty annoying.

appreciate any further suggestions; and oh, the keyboards do plug in via a pin/usb converter; but the one keyboard I tried plugged usb direct’and had the same problems.

I’ve got access to a university tech guy who can probably replace the vista with xp or vista (get one from ebay I guess??).  is that the next logical step??

anybody know of an avant stellar keyboard with a chip that’s for sale?

tom