Re: Dosbox under Windows XP...

"M.W. Poirier" wrote:

>  Yes, I did try Alt-Enter. It does work. But I like the
>  crispness of the lettering in the, I don't know what to
>  call it, ...I suppose "Dosbox." I find it hard on the eyes
>  to run XY4 full screen and to have to look at rather large
>  letters, wherein all of the pixels are visible, and to have
>  to do it for hours is excruciating.

Have you experimented with font substitutions ? There should be quite a lot
on this in the List Archives.

>  As I was explaining to someone else on the list in an off
>  list message, I suppose what I am looking for is to be able
>  to run XY4 in the sort of visual environment in which it runs
>  under Windows95 or 98, 2nd ed., and do this under XP. Maybe
>  that is not possible, and it seems that it may not be possible
>  to go back to Windows 98, 2nd ed. either.

Keep an eye on developments with SVISTA. They have announced a wide range of
emulation modules. This is all in the early program stages, at best, and may
require the program to have enough success that it is around for awhile, so as
to work out whatever deficiencies come to light. If they get to a place where
a reliable solution -- in terms of what you are looking for -- exists, you'll
still have to determine whether this is worth a hundred bucks to you. But
that will be a lot less than what the Connectix emulators were going for.

Jordan