Re: Concerning XYWEB113.ZIP

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:26:56 +0200

Manuel:

I'm not sure what's going on here; I'll have to debug it (soon) -- frankly, I
haven't used MAKEBATS.REX for about 2 years, and it just crapped out for me in
precisely the way it crapped out for you, under Win98SE. But your BAT files
look fine. Installing in [BootDrive:]\PROGRA~1\ObjREXX is *absolutely crucial*
if you are using the free Rexx runtime (are you?) -- be sure to *delete* all
the ARCHIV~1\ObjREXX files (why does the Spanish version want to install in
ARCHIV~1...? I never considered this possibility...), and then make sure that
PROGRA~1\ObjREXX is in your PATH (command SET at DOS prompt) and that
ARCHIV~1\ObjREXX is NOT in the PATH.

Assuming your BATs are installed, here's what you need to do manually (Win9x
only) as follow-up (what MAKEBATS should have done):

Launch EXPLORER.EXE at a DOS prompt. Go to C:\PROGRA~1\ObjREXX. Right-click
on *each* of SW.BAT, W2.BAT, and W2WIN.BAT (do the following for each of those
files):
Click on Properties.
Click on the "Program" tab. Make sure "Close on exit" is checked.
Click on the "Screen" tab. Make sure "Full screen" is checked for SW.BAT and
W2.BAT, and "Window" is checked for W2WIN.BAT.
Click on the "Misc" tab. Make sure "Background ==> Always suspend" is
UNchecked.
Click "Apply"
Click "OK" to close Properties

I should put those instructions in README.WIN, for use when MAKEBATS.REX craps
out. All of this BAT nonsense is an attempt to deal with the immense poverty
of user control in Win9x OpSyses. I remember terrible frustration with Win98SE
particularly (it remains UNBELIEVABLE to me that no Win32 OpSys allows you to
select or determine, from the command line, Full-screen or Window launch --
but at least NT allows you to manipulate the registry, to accomplish that). If
you plan to do more than just click on icons, I'd consider W2K Pro as an
alternative. Indeed, any of the NT OpSyses is preferable to 9x. I don't use
9x, and I have done only a bare minimum of testing of XyShell in that
environment -- and several years ago, too... I need to take another look, I
guess (he said, eagerly).

Now, there's a "Try It Out" section of README.WIN: give that a whirl, to see
if XyShell works. Lemme know.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx