Re: Sluggish Repeat Cursor Keys

"EBERLE, JIM" wrote:

> Based on the responses of several on the List to my experience speeding up
> the sluggish cursor repeat keys, here are some additional observations. I am
> running Xy 4.018 DOS in Windows 2000 on a Compaq Pentium 4 2 GHz computer.
> My experience may not be applicable to other operating systems, etc.
>
>     1. The cursor keys on my numeric key pad do not work under any
> circumstances. Putting NI in the keyboard file for the number key toggle TN
> (69=NI,TN) doesn't work. Using func CN doesn't give me use of the arrow
> keys, but does turn off the N symbol on the screen.

  For me the NumLock key has no effect, but the functions CN and SN work fine
(CN turns the keys on the number pad into cursor keys, and SN makes them
number). [I am running Xy 4.018 DOS under W2K on a Dell desktop.]

>     2. What works to speed the movement of the other, regular cursor
> keys is doing one or more of the following after loading XyWrite. Manually
> invoke the Number Lock key. Even though the N symbol remains on the screen,
> that is usually enough to speed the cursor. I open a file and try it. If the
> cursor still moves slowly, I try FUNC CN on the command line. If that
> doesn't work, I hit Number Lock again, or several times. Once I get the
> cursor to speed up, there is nothing more to do until XyWrite is restarted.

  I don't see any effect of the number lock or the function calls on the speed
of the keys on the cursor pad. (They are always sluggish.)

--
Martin J. Osborne
Department of Economics

martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx