Re: XYWRITE AND S

On Sun, 26 Feb 1995 chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hard to believe any company realistically interested in its
> software could be so marketing-foolish. Perhaps it's a tax
> write-off venture.

That's why I'm currently trying out WP/Win 6.1. I still like
XyWrite, but suspect that it is essentially an orphaned product.
I am ticked off that they do not support current products--there
are acknowledged bugs in XY/DOS 4X that they apparently have no
intention of fixing. I am disturbed that they are making NO
effort to market XY/Win, which suggests that this is not a
company worth investing my software dollars in. I needed to
change to Windoze--and I'm not confident that TTG is going to be
around to support and improve their Windows product.

WP/Win is a shock for XyWriters. It's clearly slower, although a
fast machine makes a big difference. The thesaurus and speller
are a big step down from XyWrite.

On the other hand: everything seems to work. The "restore
session" feature, which I could never get to work properly in
XyWrite even with tech support, worked right out of the box with
WP/Win. The printing control is superb. The autoreplace feature
works as well as XyWrite's.

I still have XyWrite on my disk, and I could get fed up enough
with WP's speed penalty to switch back. But I don't think so.
After 8 years with XyWrite, I feel treasonous. But hey, it's the
future, and TTG apparently isn't ready to meet it.

jb