Writing and research with computers

Dear Folks:

For a project I am embarking on, I have been searching the countryside for
what people have to say about using computers for writing and research.

Other than comments from a few friends, I am not finding very much.

Does anyone have any sources or comments on the subject. I mean for example,
that one of the reasons XyWrite has not become known for what it can do is
because those in organizations who rate the relative merit of word processors
are more interested in how to write the first letter than in the larger
process of writing (and research) itself.

I see virtually nothing about how computers and communications, set up and
used properly, constitute an extraordinary intellectual prosthesis that
continues to expand in many, often unexpected and not always beneficial ways.

Thanks for what ever you have to say about the subject.

TR...