Re: Xy'd NB -- FLV Video Capture and Player

** Reply to message from J R FOX  on Sun, 17
Feb 2008 18:41:15 -0800 (PST)

> Are there some good options for our streaming / saving
> this demo to disk, for later reference ?

You can save it locally easily:

http://xywrite.org//XyWWWebHelp/XyWrite_for_Windows_(NBWin).flv
(just "Save As" -- create a dedicated directory for FLVs!).
PLAYING it is the harder part: FLVs (Flash Videos) aren't
intended to be played standalone -- they're *supposed* to be
streamed to you, only, and not capturable. There are a few
third-party apps that can play them locally, but they are so CPU
heavy that they can freeze your whole machine. The only truly
lightweight player I know is the one that I wrote, called
FLVMiniPlayer. Get it here:
 http://xywrite.org//XyWWWebHelp/FLVMiniPlayer.zip
UnZIP all files in a single directory, ideally the same folder
where you have collected, or intend to collect, all your *.FLV
files, such as the "XyWrite_for_Windows" tutorial above. Run
Install.bat to create Desktop and Start Menu links to the
MiniPlayer program. Then look first at the included Help and
instruction file, "YouTubeSaveVideo.html" (part of the ZIPfile).
It's all pretty self-explanatory, but you'll save yourself some
time by skimming this (ignore the stuff about YouTubeSaveVideo,
just focus on MiniPlayer.exe -- YouTubeSaveVideo is the larger,
parent package, of which FLV MiniPlayer is a subset).

To watch the "XyWrite_for_Windows" video, you want to set the
video window to be roughly 919x768 pixels -- use the slider at
the top of the screen to enlarge the window from it's default
(smallish, YouTube-ish) size! If you can't get the size just
right, click on the video window to Pause it, and manually
adjust the URL address to this (the ONLY thing you need to
change is width and height, at the end of the address):

file:///d:/path/FLVMiniPlayer.html?vid=d:/path/XyWrite_for_Windows_(NBWin).flv&width=919&height=768

Then hit Enter, and you're ready to watch.

Enjoy.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx