Re: DOS emulator

At 1/18/2003 10:56 PM -0800, Ed Cray wrote:
Folks:
I too want to know just what OS to adopt if I wish to continue to use my
fifteen-year-old (and six-book) version of Xy3.57.
Xywrite works fine under W98 (version 2.whatever-Bill-is-still-selling).
When I buy my next computer (with operation system) should I tel them
to go for W98?
A number of posts across a number of months have offered a number of
alternatives for those that want to stick with XyDos either full screen or
in a DosBox: Get a new machine with W98SE (last Win OS with Dos) installed
(Dell does this, I think, by special request); take XP or W2K and try
either A) a partition with W98 (see RH's long post on some of the issues
involved with this), B) a dos emulator (I know nothing of how or whether
these will work and the drawbacks), or with TAME, a utility that tries to
correct the keyboard/screen problems in an XP DosBox (Martin J. Osborne has
been emailing the author about the progress of this -- it's still not quite
right), C) an expensive program like Virtual PC (my employer purchased a
copy and I will try this at work in a week or so) that recreates other OS
environments in XP. It would be helpful to hear from XP users who have
tried one or the other, especially those who have been struggling with the
DosBox. Failing an improvement in Tame (Any word, Martin?) it would also be
useful to hear from those who have partitioned XP for W98. Perhaps someone
can also explain how an emulator like Bochs might work for XyDos.
Michael Norman