Re: DOS v Win encoding

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:38:58 -0400

> Does this work on dial-up too? Obviously, one would have to be
> online at the time.

It works if you're connected. (Strong temptation to be
sarcastic here, but I'm resisting it mightily.)

ANSIFS (and it's opposite, VGARST, which restores your original
437/850 font) is for **fullscreen** only. Not for Desktop
windows. Desktop windows require installation, in the system
Fonts folder, via the folder's Install New Font utility, of 1252
console font(s), like the one attached hereto. Then, with
XyWrite already running in a window, right-click the upper-left
icon of the window ==> Properties ==> Font ==> select Raster
fonts ==> Size 9x16 ==> at bottom of tab it should say "Selected
Font: cP1252". Manuel made a nice large 1252 font, that almost
fills the Desktop @ 1280x1024. There are other choices as well.

> Question: is there any way to change the characters that
> fill the window border

Various values in VAWB

> and the ruler line?

VA$TB

Look, if you're tempted to convert to 1252 -- and it seems to me
that anyone working ONLY on the Desktop AND working in
international languages other than English is NUTS not to change
to 1252, since that is the standard for all Windows programs --
then you have to do it whole-hog. You can't just change the
font -- that's a purely cosmetic change. You gotta change the
Xy4 internals: casing tables, printer files, etc etc. NBWin
operates in 1252, BTW.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx