RE: EB/ES and DX (was Re: Change Invisibles: migrating ...)

... SE |≪FN1| flags footnotes in draft (WG) view. BD and loop ≫ back -- neat and clean. > >Isn't this one of those little (or not-so-little) ways in which Xy4 is a >genuine advance on Xy3? > >(I've been exploiting this same draft-view feature for years, both in the >above on its own (to simply eliminate all FNs) and in conjunction with >routines that copy embedded FNs into a separate (endnote) file and convert >XyWrite's soft note-numbering into permanent (hard) note numbers as cues in >the text and note numbers in the endnote file.) > >Eric Van Tassel This thread about footnotes prompted me to revisit a XyWWWeb routine called MoveFN, which (you guessed it) moves footnotes from the main text into a separate file. In the original version, hard-coded superscript numbers were left in the text to mark the places where footnotes had been. In a revision uploaded last night (Jumbo U2 v090), you get a choice: non-printing LaBels (the new default), superscript numbers or no markers at all. Compare DumpFN, which dumps footnotes into a separate window without in any way modifying the source file. With the appropriate argument, DumpFN (aka Dumpem) will perform the same operation on other embedded commands (LaBels, NoTes, IVs, anything). Two other footnote routines are worth remembering: FindFN # takes you directly to any footnote, and SEFN [search_string] searches for the target string within footnotes only. F.Y.I. -------------- Carl Distefano cldxtra@xxxxxxxx http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/