Re: We should [NOT] move en masse to Nota Bene (sorry Anne!)

Reply to note from Jon P  Sun, 30 Dec 2012
17:54:55 -0800 (PST)

> In XP Mode, System shows RAM as 512MB.  I tried changing that.
> It showed 3.5 GB of RAM available but when I raised it to 2048
> MB--and then to 756 MB in a second attempt--XP Mode started
> taking forever to load and being otherwise balky.

Very odd. Perhaps another XP Mode user can help. As you know, the XP
I'm running is "real", not virtual, so I'd only have you jumping
through hoops.

> But within XY4, I can't just SAve the file as X:\file

Well, that makes sense, since, if I understand correctly, drive X:
was mapped on the host machine, not in the virtual machine running
Xy4. But if Xy4 is networked to the host machine, you should be
able, in Xy4, to command, for example:
SA \\TSCLIENT\C\XY4\FILENAME
to save the current file to the remote drive. Commands CAll, READ,
DEL, ERNV, etc., should work similarly. Try it.

> and XY4's DIR command doesn't show the host computer's drives.

That's a known limitation of Xy4 (but not, incidentally, of Xy3).
You may be able to get around the limitation with U2's frame UNC. To
use frame UNC, you first have to set variable Subst, in XYWWWEB.REG,
to point to an unused drive letter. For example,
Subst=Z

Then, for example, to display a directory of the host machine's
C:\XY4 (alias X:\XY4), issue:
UNC/DIR \\TSCLIENT\C\XY4\*.*

Does it work? If so, then UNC/DIR \\TSCLIENT\X\*.* should
work as well. If you can display a directory listing in this way,
then the whole array of point-and-shoot commands (CAll, REad, DEL,
COPY, REName, etc.) will also be at your disposal, as detailed in
the Help screen: HELP UNC.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx