Re: Getting an LPT4 on XP

I'm still not clear WHY you need LPT 3 or 4. What's using LPT1? XP is old
enough to support at least one parallel port printer. Surely changing you
PP table would be easier than mucking about in Windows?

Anyway, here's what Robert posted back in Nov. 2003:
≪
As for the issue of DOS and USB, I haven't really followed the
discussion, but
the simplest way is to set XyWrite up to print to LPT1, using an LJ4
printer
file; then allow your 1000w printer to be shared, determine the name of
the
share (NET VIEW command will print it to the console, or goto your
printer ==>
Properties ==> Sharing ==> click "Shared as" ==> set or get the sharename
in
the box there), and then redirect LPT1 to the share, thus:

NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES

Just print normally from XyWrite to "LPT1". Should work.≫

You will note that he says LPT1, so apparently it's true that XP doesn't
support more than 1 LPT (or possibly 2 if one is a network printer). Note
that this was for a USB printer attached to the USB port on the machine
running XP, which I assume is your case. Are you sure you have the share
name correct?

If, on the other hand, you're trying to use the TYP routine, that does
NOT print to an LPT but to a file. Then Ghostscript/Ghostview print to
the Windows native printer, whatever that is. Can you print to the
printer from Windows?

By the by, do not be alarmed at the $60 or $70 registration fee for
GSView; it works out to $31 US.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx