Re: printing with postghst

** Reply to message from Si Wright  on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
12:08:23 -0800 (PST)

Jon:

> I installed all the latest U2, Postscript, Ghostscript and GSView exactly
> following the directions and ran REGCFG.PM. There was no line for:
>
> GsPrnDev=mswinpr2
> default

I'll tackle your other queries tomorrow when I have a moment, but briefly: if
you DLed the latest U2 package from XyWWWeb, there's a template of an
unconfigured REG file in there that shows the complete set of Ghostscript
variables. The device driver listed above should appear on _one line_ (and
this one line could go anywhere in REG, top or bottom, it doesn't matter, but
they're bunched in harmonious "stanzas" simply for the sake of sanity), i.e.:

GsPrnDev=mswinpr2 default

Is that the DesignJet or DeskJet? A 600x600 inkjet? I don't see a model 3500
in the various lists of device drivers. Does it understand PCL? If you can
use a dedicated driver, printing is significantly faster. But regardless, if
POSTFONT.TXT displays in GSview, then try to print *from GSview* (File ==>
Print). If that works, then there's just some minor screw-up in your REG
settings (because what GSview does in order to print is exactly the same thing
that TYP does, except that TYP skips the middleman -- remember, you can always
print via GSview).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx