Re: Translating XyWin to Word or WordStar -Reply

Soft hyphens (a tilde in XyWrite, I think, visible only in expanded mode)
sometimes convert as spaces. If hyphenation was turned on when you
typed the files there are probably soft hyphens (or something else added
by the hyphenation feature?) scattered throughout, sometimes in strange
places (not at syllable breaks). Try deleting soft hyphens, or try
converting some text typed with the setting HY=0. This happened to me
about a year ago, and as I recall stripping out the soft hyphens was
enough to get a clean conversion.

Tom Roche
Johns Hopkins University Press

>Here's a short sample of the results from the Word 2.0 filter:

> Data disk s and tapes w ere scatter ed under and across the s everal
> tabl es, and a mor tally wound ed CD-ROM wa s pinned und er the
> caste r of one of th e chairs. As sorted firs t-generati on computer
> components and test gea r formed pre carious mou nds of metal and
> plastic in the corne rs. There wa s a jumble of cables on th e seat
> of Hor ton's chair , and a saggi ng, badly ov erloaded sh elf of
> books and manuals loomed over the large mo nitor like a sword of Dam
> ocles.

> I should have some time today to fiddle with the Ami Pro filter and
> see if the results are any better, and to try RTF. I'll report
> back...

Best,

    K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET
CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET