Re: Off topic--spam, why does it work?

Reply to note from Paul Williams  Sat, 06 Sep
2003 11:50:35 +0200

> I note that in the current outbreak (in which my address has
> been hugely spoofed) some ISPs intercept the virus, delete it
> and send back a message saying they have done so. When I asked
> my ISP why his computers don't do the same it was "too
> difficult and too consuming of resources".

Any ISP not willing to devote the necessary resources to virus and
spam filtering is committing suicide -- and good riddance, too. If
my little storefront outfit can do it, anyone can. I'd been
filtering SoBig.F messages into a separate folder, but a few days
ago the volume increased dramatically, to the point where my mailbox
would have filled up in four hours, so my strategy no longer worked.
I emailed tech support, in the wee hours, and 10 minutes later
(they're local) they were intercepting the messages for me. The
problem disappeared. If it hadn't, I would have disappeared. Why
pay for an email account that's no longer usable?

It's you or them, Paul. I'd change ISPs pronto.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx