beep in Xy4/XP/Dell 8500

Dell recently replaced my 8100 with an 8500 laptop, again running XP home,
SP 1, and all subsequent updates installed.
When I mute or reduce the volume, that doesn't affect XyWrite's annoying
beep. I'm pretty sure I remember that there is a command to remove or
reduce the volume of the beep. Anyone remember what it actually is? Thanks,
Bill (Never had this problem on the 8100) (The beep is for any error, for
example, on a search without the proper delimiters, etc. etc.).