Re: DOS Emulator

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> Phoenix and the others simply do not offer BIOS upgrades; you MUST get them

> from "the manufacturer".

It is no better than an historical footnote at this point, I'm sure, but I think
you could do this at one time. There were (then) at least three big BIOS
manufacturers: Phoenix, Award, and another one whose name I'm blanking on right
now. Two of these three later merged, greatly diminishing the competition in this
field. Approx. 6 years ago (?), I stopped at a Comdex booth for one of these, and
spoke to a division rep who told me it was possible -- presumably for an end-user
-- to order a specific BIOS from them, if you had the exact reference #, even if it
wasn't the most current one. He gave me his card, which I probably no longer have,
but it's irrelevant anyway, because 5 years is an eternity given the kinds of
changes that occur in the computer industry. Whole companies come and go, products
disappear (do you own a Syquest drive ?), divisions are jettisoned, policies
totally change.

> You know, if users don't simply rebel and stop using this Microsoft stuff,
> they're
> heading toward total imprisonment. People are such sheep.

How right you are.

Jordan